Sponsored by the Living Justice Ministries Racial Equity Team
SMOS Racial Equity Reading Group: The Last Children of Mill Creek
This winter the Racial Equity team would like to invite you to join us in reading Vivian Gibson’s memoir The Last Children of Mill Creek (published 2020). This local work of nonfiction relates the author’s everyday experience growing up in Mill Creek Valley, a segregated working-class neighborhood of St. Louis that was razed in 1959 to build a highway. While city officials claimed urban renewal and progress, the destruction of Mill Creek Valley displaced hundreds of African American families and eliminated homes, businesses, and churches. This book is accessible and only 160 pages long. Please let us know by January 16 if you’d like to join a reading group and what times in January and February work best for you for group discussion by signing up here: https://forms.gle/Z67FWyLyTnG8Qwum6.
Wash U Archives of Resistance Events
The Archives of Resistance event series, an initiative of the WashU & Slavery Project and Washington University Libraries, immerses participants in the history of people who resisted slavery and oppression through stories that are emerging from the archives. Through the events of the series participants can:
- Discover the carefully-researched story of Eliza Rone’s pursuit of freedom in a short film on January 26, 5-7pm, Brown Hall Room 100
- Celebrate Frederick Douglass’s birthday by helping to make his papers accessible to all online, February 14, 10:45am-2:00pm, Olin Library Room 142
- View the Slavery in St. Louis and other related exhibitions at Olin Library
- Learn about William Wells Brown’s anti-slavery publications held in Special Collections, February 21, 5-7pm, Olin Library Room 142
- Experience Coins Across Time exhibit on display this spring featuring a display on Black Numismatics
Mass for Social Justice
The annual Mass for Social Justice, coinciding with the celebration of Martin Luther King Day, will take place on Sunday January 21 at 2:30pm at the Cathedral Basilica (4431 Lindell).