The SMOS PTA Inclusion & Diversity Committee will once again celebrate the Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) holiday at St. Margaret’s School with an ofrenda (or altar) in the cafeteria. This is a sacred holiday rooted in our Catholic tradition (and commonly associated with Mexico), and they welcome everyone’s participation in this communal celebration! In many areas of the world, Día de los Muertos is a two-day celebration from November 1st to the 2nd (that’s right…All Saints Day + All Souls day!). Since the students are on break those days, they will begin the celebration the following week on November 6.
Unlike Halloween, Día de los Muertos is not meant to be a sad or frightening holiday, but a celebratory time to remember loved ones who have died. It’s a day in which we welcome back the memory and the souls of those people who are still an important part of our family & community, even though they may not be physically present.
Here are some opportunities for your family can be involved:
- Donate/Loan items for altar set-up: They are seeking various items to build our community altar! Families can sign up for items to contribute using the signup link below.
- Contribute time: Volunteers are needed to help set up the altar on the morning of Monday, 11/6. No special talent needed! (Although they welcome those who have family traditions rooted in this ritual.) Again, see the link for details.
- Contribute personal items to the ofrenda: Families and student(s) can choose to bring personal things to place on the altar. Ideas of appropriate items include photos (or drawings!) of loved ones or pets that have passed on, photos of Saints, a rosary or cross, favorites items of the deceased (fruit, trinket, toy, candy, etc.). Please consider the following when sending in items:
- Send to school with your child (or drop off in the school office) beginning Mon 10/30. (If you are sending fresh flowers/food please refrain from sending until 11/6).
- The altar will remain up for about 2 weeks, so you are welcome to send items in anytime during the week of 11/6.
- While not required, they love receiving photos that are in tabletop frames! This allows them to display the pictures proudly.
- Please be sure to label personal items clearly with your name and phone number.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to Dana Garcia.