From Principal Patrick Holley to St. Margaret of Scotland School Families:
I want to take some time to point out some changes to the handbook. These changes were made to hopefully provide some clarity and focus to some of our policies. Know that we do everything with the best interests of your children in mind. I am happy to further talk to you about any questions or concerns you may have with any of these policy changes.
In general, it is always a good idea to read through the policies in the handbook every year. There is generally a passage that will answer your question.
Pg. 28 – ICAN Statements – ICAN statements will be used for the whole school. This is a change from last year where ICAN statements were used from K-5 and Charism Cards were used for middle school. We believe that this will streamline the behavioral management process while acting as a more restorative process for the middle school.
Pg. 28-29 – Electronic Devices – SMART watches have been added to our Electronic Devices policy. They are not allowed in school and will be confiscated if found.
Pg. 36 – Standards Based Grading Proficiency Scale – This proficiency scale will be used in all grades at school. There will no longer be a different proficiency scale for PreK-5 and 6-8. There were also several adjustments to the scale.
- 4’s no longer represent BEYOND MASTERY, but represent MASTERY instead.
- 3’s will represent ACHIEVING instead of MASTERY
- 2’s will represent DEVELOPING instead of PROGRESSING
- 1’s will represent INSUFFICIENT PROGRESS instead of IMPROVEMENT STILL NEEDED
- 0 will be replaced with L with stands for incomplete or lack of evidence.
- PROGRESSING PLUS will be taken out of the scale
As a faculty, we believe that this new scale will provide better transparency and more accurately represents the philosophy of Standards Based Grading.